Whether you are an Uber driver, passenger, driver on the road, or pedestrian, it is important to be aware of the legal and insurance steps involved in a rideshare accident and the steps to take after an accident occurs. Accidents involving Ubers happen almost every hour of every day so it is important to educate yourself on these types of cases.
We will break down the list of things that you should do after an Uber accident occurs. You will be prepared for the case if it happens to you. The first steps you take after you’re involved in an accident are crucial to your health and future ability to gain compensation for the accident. Have you already been involved in an Uber accident? We will also share some insight about how to report the case, deal with insurance issues, and find a lawyer.
What do I do if I get in an Uber accident?
- Check that all parties are safe and call 911 if there are major injuries.
- Call the police and ask for an officer to be sent to the scene. They will document the accident and record important details about the crash. Your attorney will reply on this accident report as they conduct their investigation later on.
- Take photos of the Uber, other vehicles, and the scene. Take photos from all angles and include some that are far away so you can capture the entire scene.
- Gather information from all parties involved. Collect the names, contact information, and insurance information of the Uber driver, other passengers, other vehicles, and witnesses.
- Go to the hospital. Even if you feel alright, if you were directly involved in the accident, it is wise to get examined at the hospital or a clinic. Some injuries such as whiplash might not be symptomatic initially. The sooner you visit the doctor after the accident, the stronger the connection will be between the accident and your injury for legal purposes.
- Contact Uber. On the Uber website, you can report the incident by going to “Trip and Fare Review”, and then “I was involved in an accident.” A member of the Uber team will reach out to gather more information.
- If needed, find a lawyer that you can trust and is experienced in rideshare accidents. You can always request a free case consultation to see how a lawyer can help your case.
What is Uber’s insurance liability?
Uber accidents are complex cases. It is crucial to not speak with a lawyer or accept offers before you select your lawyer to represent you. These cases become complex because the case outcome will depend on whether the driver has a personal insurance policy that includes a “rideshare rider”. This adds coverage for the times that they are driving for Uber. If the driver does have this added coverage, their personal insurance should cover any damages that you are due as a passenger.
However, more than half of Uber drivers do not have these added coverage. This is when Uber’s liability policy kicks in. Uber’s insurance is used only if the driver’s insurance carrier denies the claim for the case. Most of the time, Uber’s insurance is used and they provide different coverages based on the periods of an Uber driver’s work. For example, Period 3 is when the rider is in the car and ends when the rider leaves the car and the driver marks that the trip is over. If a driver is en route to pick up a rider or on a ride with a passenger, the liability is $1,000,000. The case settlement varies greatly depending on what period the accident occured in during the Uber ride.
Our highly skilled team of attorneys know and understand the laws surrounding rideshare accidents, which is why it is best to consult with an expert. At the Law Offices of Payam Y. Poursalimi, we will help you every step of the way, ensuring you receive the best legal help possible. We understand that dealing with the repercussions of an accident can be devastating; however, we want you to know that you are not alone. To learn more about how our experienced Lyft accident lawyer can help you with your case and recover compensation for your losses, contact our team today for a free consultation!